This thought process began this weekend when I traveled to my hometown of Dyersburg to spend time with my family. Before setting out for my travels, I’d made tentative plans to visit my mom’s former pastor, Mike Gardner. During a season in my life, about 8 years ago, Mike had been placed into my life by God as one of the greatest spiritual rocks that I’d ever encountered. God used him in my life to bring me out of a pit of despair that had produced a very dark and confusing season of anxiety and depression in my life. Now, eight years later, I found myself hearing from a distance that Mike was enduring his own trial of a lifetime, and had been doing so for a year and a half. In December of 2010, at an age that seems too young to suffer such, Mike had experienced a sudden stroke. The last I’d heard, Mike was slowly recovering and experiencing small victories. Then two weeks ago, there was yet another setback, a fall that resulted in a dislocated shoulder and two broken ribs. While I’d basically not spoken to him or his wife in several years, I felt the overwhelming desire to just go by and be there, like he’d been for me so long ago. Maybe to even be able to offer encouragement, although I really had no idea how I could. In his own words, “it was like waking up in a bad nightmare where someone has stolen your entire life.”
So in case you are wondering, here is where this blog titled “On the Other Side” begins to come into play. Admittedly, the thought of going to Mike & Charlotte’s house felt kind of, awkward, or maybe intimidating is a better word. After all, I had never once visited their house when I lived here, and unlike my son who can talk to a wall, I wondered, will I have anything to say? I hadn’t seen them in years, and I really didn’t know what to expect? The thoughts continued: Maybe I shouldn’t go? Maybe since I have such limited opportunities to see my family I should just stay here? They would understand that since I never get to see my family. BUT, I just couldn’t shake that continued urge...”GO!”. The Lord was, in fact, calling me to do it, so—although I didn’t really understand why at the time—I went.
And I’ll be John Brown (whatever that means?) if that wasn’t the most encouraging and most heart gripping experience of the whole weekend! I’d taken my son with me, “The Eternal Ice Breaker” as I like to refer to him, and we ALL had an amazing time of fellowship. They shared, I shared, we laughed, we cried, and my son LOOOOVED exploring the yard of their house that was neatly tucked away within a small wooded oasis. And our visit ended in the Gardner’s living room, with Maddox leading the four of us in prayer for Pastor Mike.
So that was my most recent experience with the principle of when the Lord is leading: “on the other side” is something beautiful. As I began to really think about this, the Lord gave me more and more applications of this principle, and even some biblical examples that I plan to study further, so here they are:
On the
other side of…
Awkward/Intimidating
à Amazing (Nehemiah)
Doubt à Greater faith (“I believe, help me with my unbelief.”- Mark 9:24)
Suffering à A deeper Intimacy & trust in the Lord (Job)
Fear à A Stronger You. A courageous you, with the ability to overcome.
(David and Goliath; Joshua & Caleb, Esther)
Humbling yourself
and admitting wrongdoing à Restored Relationships
(Whole Bible!- the ultimate being restored relationship with God - 1 John 1:9)
Disciplineà A Peaceful Harvest of Righteousness (Hebrews 12:11)
And finally, a word picture that helps me remember
this concept:
On the
other side of the Red Sea à The Promised Land (Exodus)
And unfortunately, the principle seems to apply on the opposite end of the spectrum as well.
On the other side of Unbelief. On the other side of “Doing Nothing” (which in itself is a conscious choice to do something because we don’t cease to exist!), On the Other Side of taking no steps of faith, On the other side of choosing Not to Trust the Lordà deep regret and likely lots of pain.
So that is the principle of “On the Other
Side”, and I believe it is a biblical one. In fact, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
modeled it. And if it’s good enough for Him, it’s good enough for me!
“Therefore, since
we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let
us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily
trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We
do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects
our faith. Because of the joy
awaiting him, he endured the cross,
disregarding its shame. Now he is
seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured
from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up. After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle
against sin.” –Hebrews 12:1-4
Flip your perspective, and consider it an opportunity for great joy, just like our Jesus did.Perhaps it is also not without merit, then, that the Lord says:
“Dear
brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity
for great joy. For you know that when
your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is
fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.” –James
1:2-4
So what do you really have to lose? Get
moving and embrace the tough choices today! I'm talking about the choices that require your faith
because you know the Lord is leading,
but you can’t see where or why. RISK
IT ALL!!! (which happens to be Pastor’s Brady's next sermon series that starts this
Sunday-no coincidence!)
“This is my
command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua
1:9
“Trust
in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all
your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
Don’t misinterpret this last promise;
straight paths can still go over many hills and valleys, but the comfort comes
in the fact that He is leading. So you can rest assured it has a beautiful
plan!
Hope to see you on the flip side!
Dennika
Good gracious...just beautiful writing and a message so needed.
ReplyDelete